On my real birthday we went out to a club called Newport... it was alright, but I've never been the club type. When I left I walked the wrong way down the river and ended up outside the Sevilla city limits at around 4:30am. An hour and a half later I finally found my way back home and got a solid 3 hours of sleep before having to wake up for school in the morning.
On Friday, API took us to Granada for the weekend. It's only about a 3 hour bus ride away, but on the way there we took a little detour up some mountains and got to hike around in this really cool area. I'm still not sure what the area is called, but it had some crazy rock formations. The clouds were really low, and it felt like I was in a Lord of the Rings movie.
Unfortunately I didn't take many pictures in Granada. The first night there we went to a Flamenco show. Flamenco is a type of Gypsy/Spanish music and dancing. I went to a show in Sevilla a few weeks earlier and didn't like it, but this was way different. We all sat in this old Gypsy cave that was dug out into a room. They had chairs lining the walls and everyone faced the middle. The show was way better than the one I saw before, and at the end they started pulling people out of the crowd to get up there and dance with them. A few people went up, then the dancer came and pulled me out of the crowd for the last person to go. I got into the dance a little more than everyone else had...the dancer's eyes got really wide as she was surprised about this. The crowd loved it too...one of the girls has a video that I'll try to put up as soon as she gives it to me.
The next day in Granada we saw the Alhombra which was a Spanish palace for the king and queen a few hundred years ago. I think they fled there for protection when under attack. To be honest I wasn't as impressed with this place as much as all the other palaces I have seen. There was a lot of Arabic influence and history here, but overall I just couldn't get interested in all of that. Written all over the buildings was this Arabic saying "There is no winner but Allah." which is right here in Arabic...
This was literally written thousands of times inside all of the buildings which was kinda creepy the more and more you saw it. There weren't too many interesting pictures from the Alhombra; most of the architecture was symmetrical and more plain than the other royal palaces.
Later on that night, we went out as a group to some random bar then a club. This seems to be the common theme here in Spain and is what most people my age do for fun at nights. There are tons of random bars all over Spain, so it's fun finding cool spots that nobody has heard about. The only thing I don't like is that everyone tries to come as an entire group and bar's hate it when 50 Americans all come in together. The club we went to was pretty cool though. It had a bunch of different levels and was carved out of a cave. The top level looked out over the Alhombra...once again I forgot my camera. Everyone had to wake up early Sunday morning to get on the bus. In my delirium I decided to lead the bus in karaoke with the microphone...followed by a long nap. More to come later, I am currently in the process of planning a trip to Portugal in two weeks.

No comments:
Post a Comment