Tonight we are all going to our first Discotecha (dance club) which should be fun. I'm not really the dancing type, but as they say...when in Spain. I also found out we have a 9 day stretch where there are no classes, so I am booking a plane ticket to central Europe and trying to see as many countries as possible. Top of the list is Amsterdam, Prague, Florence, Niece, and Munich. Tomorrow I'm playing in a soccer game against some very good guys in their 20s. I don't know what to expect, but it should be fun competing with some good players. Sunday we have planned a trip to go to Cadiz which is a beach about an hour south of here. Should be a fun weekend...I'll give and update after the weekend.
Friday, September 12, 2008
Frustrated
We just finished our first week of classes at Universidad Pablo de Olavide (UPO). I felt like up until today my spanish was vastly improving everyday. I was understanding more and being able to speak more clearly and quickly. Today was a completely different story... I felt slow, I couldn't understand anything my teachers were saying, and I couldn't even pronounce words that I normally have no trouble with. At least it's the weekend, so I'll have a break from some spanish and be able to relax a little bit. Culture shock becomes a very real thing whenever I am separated from our API english speaking group. Today I felt like every word I heard in Spanish I had to translate into English in my head and then try to understand it. It was such a slow process that I felt like an idiot trying to talk to anyone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hey Joe,
I'm glad you've set up this blog so we can follow your excellent Spanish adventure.
Don't worry too much about having to translate everything in your head. Consider this a wake-up call. In the real world, Hispanic people don't speak like your high school Spanish teacher. Listen and learn. Read as much as you can. Watch television. Listening to the radio is a great way to learn because you don't have visual clues. Go to movies in Spanish. Meet some nice Spanish girls! And read your Aunt Peggy's boring blog when you get a chance. pganong.blogspot.com
Hasta la vista!
Peggy
Post a Comment